Welcome to the Pandemic Response Network
The Pandemic Response Network (PRN) is a network of health-based organizations, community-based organizations, state and federal agencies and associations, public and private employers, and religious organizations working together to connect people with the critical and supportive resources they need during the pandemic. PRN’s mission is to help people stay safe and connected during pandemics.
Launched in April 2020, the PRN’s principal service offering is a Community Health Watch COVID-19 symptom support program.
Community Health Watch uses a web-based survey and a team of healthcare professionals who provide feedback and guidance to participants on how to care for themselves at home. The team calls people across the United States when symptoms of COVID-19 are serious enough to seek care at a hospital or a healthcare facility.
This combination of monitoring and feedback can help anyone stay safe and connected, especially those who are isolated or who need support managing their health.
Our partners are working to promote Community Health Watch to:
- Customers/Patients in their network service area
- Residents of their town, city or state
- People they employ
- Members of their church or spiritual organization
Through our partnership network, PRN is able to bring information about relevant resources to participants who may otherwise have trouble accessing information and services. PRN is committed to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable, non-English speaking communities, and communities of color.
What is the Community Health Watch program?
Our Community Health Watch program is designed to help participants manage symptoms of COVID-19 at home and also provide guidance on when medical care is needed. The goal is to help people manage their health during the pandemic. We do this with a combination of technology and telephone interactions with trained professionals.
Community Health Watch does the following:
- Monitor COVID-19 symptoms people may be having and provide guidance on how to care for themselves at home
- Provide guidance on when to seek medical care if symptoms of COVID-19 worsen
- Support people in following recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control
- Track and monitor health status for participants who are symptom-free with no known exposure
The Community Health Watch program is open to everyone, regardless of age or where they live. Our platform utilizes a web-based survey to monitor symptoms related to COVID-19, but participants do not need to have symptoms in order to use or benefit from this program.
Program participants agree to submit their symptoms over a period of 28 days via a short online survey performed twice per day; depending on symptoms, the system provides feedback in real time as to what can/should be done as next steps.
Community Health Watch
Community Health Watch is a symptom-support program that helps you stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is open to anyone, anywhere, regardless of age.
Our goal is to help people stay safe and connected. Community Health Watch will:
- Help you monitor any symptoms you may be having and provide guidance on how to care for yourself at home
- Provide guidance on when to seek medical care if your symptoms increase
- Support you in following recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and your local public health department
from North Carolina
Meet our Community Health Watch team members!
"By far, the greatest thing about this project is the human connection. Everyone has a story to share about how they have been exposed or their respective risk factors. Sharing this experience has been wonderful.
How does it work?
Using a web-based survey that is secure and easy to use, our team of medical professionals will help you monitor your symptoms and offer guidance on how to care for yourself throughout the pandemic.
Our program is open to everyone, regardless of age or where you live. Here are some details:
- You do not need to have symptoms to sign up for the program
- If you are symptom-free but then start to show symptoms, our team of medical professionals will give you feedback about seeking medical attention
- You will record symptoms using our web-based survey twice per day each day for a total of 28 days. To make it easy for you, our team will send you reminders
- Our medical professionals will monitor your symptoms. If your symptoms worsen, we will increase our outreach to you. We may recommend options for seeking care, such as a direct referral to your physician or taking immediate action, like dialing 911 in an emergency situation
- If you forget to report your symptoms during a 24-hour period, we will call you directly to make sure you are okay. If we cannot reach you within 48 hours of your missed check-in, we will reach out to your emergency contact and ask them to check on you
Keeping your information secure
This program combines technology and human expertise. The tool is built on REDCap, a software tool used by public health departments around the United States to monitor for COVID-19. A group of clinical experts developed the set of questions that we ask you and the alerting system. A physician is helping manage the team of people making phone calls.